As a senior member of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, which is charged with the oversight of the U.S. Intelligence Community, Congressman Adam Schiff shares the responsibility for erroneous intelligence that has dragged the U.S. into numerous military interventions in the Middle East and surrounding areas.
On Sept. 17, 2014, Congressman Adam Schiff authorized the Secretary of Defense to provide training, equipment, supplies, and other assistance to “appropriately vetted” Syrian opposition groups and individuals for the following purposes:
• To defend the Syrian people from attacks by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL)
• To protect the United States, its allies, and the Syrian people from terrorist threats in Syria; and
• To promote the conditions for a negotiated settlement to end the conflict in Syria)
After a visit to Syria, Adam Schiff announced, on Washington Journal, on Feb. 17, 2005, that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad was not a ‘positive presence’ in the Middle East. Today, the moderate Syrian opposition, for Schiff, appears to be a tool in harmony with his animosity and desire of overthrowing the democratically elected president of a sovereign nation. Despite ample evidence that it was the jihadists, with Turkey’s help, who used sarin gas against civilians in Syria to put the blame on Assad and, thus, cause U.S. military intervention in Syria (See “The Red Line and the Rat Line“ by Pulitzer-prize winning journalist Seymour M. Hersh, Apr. 17, 2014), Schiff continues accusing the Syrian president of ‘gassing his own people’ (“Intel Dem: Airstrike in Syria Won‘t Work,” Sept. 5, 2014)
What It Means to Fund, Train and Equip Free Syrian Army, a.k.a. Moderate Opposition
• “We have been at war in that part of the world for the last 13 years. If money and military might could make a difference, it would have by now.” (Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia, who voted against Obama’s above-mentioned controversial proposal, on Sept. 18, 2014, quoted by MSNBC)
• “No one knows where these arms are going to wind up… We don’t even know who these groups are. (Republican Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, who voted against Obama’s above-mentioned controversial proposal to arm and train moderate Syrian rebels, on Sept. 18, 2014, quoted by MSNBC)
• “I’m not confident that the weapons we will provide will stay in the right hands and they wouldn’t ultimately get into the hands of the ISIL, as we have seen in Iraq, where a lot of the American-made Humvees, tanks, anti-tank weapons, etc. were taken over by ISIL, when they conquered territory. I would want some level of confidence that they will go to the right people, they will stay with the right people. It’s hard for me to see that happening. (Democratic Congressman Adam Schiff of California, 7 days before voting for H. Amdt. 1141 that authorizes the Secretary of Defense to provide training, equipment, supplies, and other assistance to “appropriately vetted” Syrian opposition groups and individuals, on MSNBC, Sept. 10, 2014)
• “Even the strongest supporters of our direct and immediate military involvement in Syria admit the rebel forces are made up of many groups including al Qaeda. And no one is sure to whom the assistance should be given. All they claim is the need for the immediate removal of Assad. This policy is nothing new and too often in our recent history our assistance with dollars and weapons used to overthrow a government ends up with the weapons being used instead against us.”
• “Many of the ‘moderate’ Free Syrian Army fighters, which the U.S. has funded, have defected to al Qaeda affiliates. With the active and growing social media recruitment there is no telling who will be fighting America tomorrow. It would be a tragic error to assume that funding and equipment for Syrian rebels will not fall into the hands of defectors seeking to join extremist groups.” (“Funding ‘Moderate’ Syrian Opposition: the Wrong Choice” by Alex VanNess, July 3, 2014).
• Since the beginning of the Syrian conflict, USAID (United States Agency for International Development) has allocated over $2.9 billion of American tax dolars in humanitarian aid to its implementing partners in Syria without the consent of or coordination with its sovereign government. There are many witness reports that much of this aid found its way into the hands of terrorists affiliated with al Qaeda and ISIS (Islamic State of Iraq and Syria)/ISIL. (Explore www.usaid.gov/crisis/syria)
• “In general, all the intelligence services of the world are participating in the project “Free [Syrian] Army”: Jordanian intel, Saudi intel, Emirati intel, and Qatari intel. And, obviously, Western intel services are also present. […] The U.S, most definitely, the UK, and France. These are the main ones that are present.” (Saddam al-Jamal, revolutionary leader of the Eastern Front in the FSA Staff Board and leader of “Allahu Akbar” Brigade, who defected to ISIL, Dec 1, 2013. Watch “FSA Leader Defects and Exposes FSA as a Saudi-Israeli Run Project”)
• “What is happening in Syria is an enormous problem for the U.S. Al-Assad may be a poor leader, but at least he allowed people in Syria, regardless of their religious beliefs, to live at peace. Al Qaeda in Iraq has publicly stated their goal is to create an al Qaeda super-state comprised of Iraq and Syria. By funding these so-called rebels, the U.S. government is handing the al Qaeda the keys to that super-state. By the U.S. supporting the overthrow of Assad, without question, we will hand Syria over to al Qaeda, make no mistake. And the slaughter of millions of Syrians, including Syrian Christians, Jews, Alawites, and Muslims, will be on our hands.” (Award-winning investigative journalist Ben Swann, “Truth in Media: What the Media Isn’t Telling You About Syria,” Sept. 2, 2013)
• “We are going to attack and destroy the governments in 7 countries in 5 years. We are going to start with Iraq and then we are going to move to Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and Iran.” (From a U.S. Secretary of Defense classified memo dated November 2001, publicized by Wesley Clark, Retired 4-star U.S. Army General, in October 3, 2007. Watch “Wes Clark – America’s Foreign Policy “Coup”“). Adam Schiff has so far supported all of the U.S. interventions that have followed this plan.
• U.S. funded and armed mujahideens to defeat the Soviets in Afghanistan. These fighters later formed al Qaeda and turned against the U.S. U.S. funded and armed Syrian rebels to topple Bashar al-Assad in Syria. Many of them defected to form ISIS/ISIL which has now turned against the U.S.
Hillary Rodham Clinton: “The people we are fighting today we funded 20 years ago. […] Let’s be careful what we sow, because we will harvest. And we now making up for a lot of lost time.” (Watch the full story at “Reality Check: The. U.S. Government Created Al Qaeda?” Aug. 2012)
U.S. Violates International Law in Syria
The U.S. bombing of Syrian territory is taking place without the consent of the Syrian government. It is one more U.S. violation of international law and Syrian sovereignty. The Syrian government had offered to cooperate with the United States in a joint military struggle against the reactionary forces of ISIS. […] Obama and the Pentagon and the CIA and, last and least, the bribed and corrupted talking heads in Congress are determined to use the attack against the Islamic State as a pretext to carry out regime change in Syria by military means even though the Syrian government has been the most effective military force in struggling against the so-called Islamic State. (A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition, Sept. 22, 2014)
Adam Schiff Skirts U.S. Constitution for Re-Election
Adam Schiff may not represent the people of the 28th District since he no longer lives there. Article I, section 2, of the U.S. Constitution states that no one can be a member of the House of Representatives who “shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen.” After Schiff was elected to a second term in November of 2002, he moved to 8204 Windsor View Ter., Potomac, MD 20854. Since the Schiffs became inhabitants of the Montgomery County, Maryland, Adam Schiff has been skirting the U.S. Constitution by registering to vote at a small apartment in Burbank (250 N. First St., Unit 427, Burbank, CA), where he stays only during his brief visits to the 28th District.
Adam Schiff’s Voting Record on Syrian and Middle East Crisis
Sep. 17, 2014 voted for authorizing Aid to Syrian Opposition
Jun. 19, 2014 voted against prohibiting United States from Providing Weapons in Syria
Jun. 24, 2011 voted for authorizing Limited Use of US Armed Forces in Libya
Jun. 24, 2011 voted against limiting the Use of Funds in Support of NATO Operations in Libya
Mar. 17, 2011 voted against removing troops from Afghanistan
Jun. 20, 2005 voted against an amendment prohibiting the U.S. President from initiating military operations against other countries without authorization from Congress